Healthy Seafood Gratin
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ⅛ tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 Club Des Millionnaires anchovy fillets
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 can (125g) Club Des Millionnaires Wild Sardines in Olive Oil, drained and flaked
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make a bechamel sauce, melt 2 tbsp of butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, whisk in flour and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add the milk and quickly whisk to a smooth consistency. Turn the heat to medium-high to bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Turn heat down to medium-low, add nutmeg and bay leaves and cook, whisking occasionally for 8 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic, anchovy fillets, chili flakes and cauliflower and cook for 10-12 minutes until cauliflower has begun to soften. Add sardines and lemon juice and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sardine and cauliflower mixture to a lightly oiled casserole dish. Pour the bechamel sauce on top and finish with parmesan and mozzarella. Season with pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and top with breadcrumbs, drizzle with olive oil and bake for another 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and top with chives. Allow to cool for ten minutes before serving.